The ICSI is a research organization founded in 1963.
It was created and developed by the joint effort of the Israeli government, the US government (through USOM), the UN and the ceramics and glass industry.
This new Institute incorporated into it the "Ceramic Research Association", which operated between 1948 and 1963.
Currently the ICSI is an independent, non-profit, organization.
ICSI is housed in a three-story building (erected in 1956) situated inside the campus of the Technion [Israel Institute of Technology], in the city of Haifa, Israel.